K-Y Canada’s guide to great sex while menstruating
Menstruating doesn’t have to be a reason to not have sex. A common misconception is that any frisky encounters are going to be off the table for a week or so. Having sex with a partner who is menstruating can actually be pretty hot, with a few body benefits, and, of course, an orgasm at the end of it all.
Period sex isn’t for everybody. Great sex begins and ends with our own personal comfort levels. If period sex isn’t your thing, don’t worry about it. But if you’ve never done it before, and you’re curious, we’ve got you covered.
We’re going to take you through period sex 101, what the benefits are of having sex while menstruating, and a few sex tips to get you started if you haven’t gone on this journey before.
Period sex 101
Menstruation occurs once a month for people who have uteruses. It’s safe to have sex while menstruating, but if you’re using any protective methods with a partner, don’t skip out on those just because you’re using a tampon or a cup.
Menstruating usually comes with different levels of discomfort, including cramping, which may impact how a person feels or responds to sex.
Yes, period sex is messy. Is it gross? Depends on how you look at it. Menstruation is when the uterine lining sheds, causing blood to accumulate, which, to those with a blood phobia, isn’t great, but, really, it’s just a little bit messier than your run of the mill sexual romp.
Benefits of having sex while menstruating
Having sex while you’re menstruating can have some benefits if you’re willing to try it.
- Increased sex drive. A heightened sex drive can happen at different times for different people, usually around ovulation time. But so can pre- and during menstruation.
Orgasmic pain relief. Climaxing is a beautiful, wonderful feeling that can cause some pain relief. Orgasms are said to help headaches and migraines, and they, too, can lessen how painful menstrual cramps can be with a dose of dopamine that comes from, well, coming.
- More lube. This one is a given. The body is producing extra, natural lubrication, which can help make sex feel amazing. If you’re into keeping your regular routine and want some lube features and sensation, try K-Y® Lubricant - Naturals*, too. (If you have painful sex at times, this is a good option too.)
Sex tips for great sex while menstruating
Now that you know why period sex can rule, we’ve got some tips for you to try out for your next romp.
- Spice up sex positions or try something new. Front, back, behind, scissor. Breakout of your normal positions and try something new. Incorporate sex toys or lube for couples.
- Experiment with oral sex. There are cups made specifically for menstruating people to still enjoy receiving oral sex.
- Grab a towel. Seriously, it can be messy, but rewarding. You’ll thank yourself later during the clean-up.
- Explore other erogenous zones. The focus doesn’t have to just be on the nether region; explore other erogenous zones, perhaps incorporating a slower foreplay, and deepen your intimacy together.
*Ensure this product is right for you. Always read and follow the product label.